Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My New Truck was JUNK!


Stuart (Trucky) my old truck

As most everyone knows I love driving a truck. My first truck was a 1983 GMC S-15. It was white and red with some rust for character. It was my first truck and my first vehicle that wasn't automatic. I learned to drive a stick after about 2-3 weeks of having it. Needless to say I cried the first week I had it because I was so frustrated with it. But I learned to love it. I drove it until it wasn't very reliable anymore then I got a new truck. It was a 1998 Toyota Tacoma and I was IN LOVE! It was a beautiful green color and had 4 wheel drive and sunroof. It was great! Until one day my dad said that my bed was sitting a little crooked. He reached up under the bed and grabbed hold of the frame of my truck and pulled a chunk of it off. He looked up under it and realized that my entire frame was cracked and completely rusted. GREAT! So, my dad called a few of the maintenance guys that were good at welding and all that good stuff to see if they could fix it. No dice. There was no fixing it. It was going to be junk. My awesome truck was junk! I cried of course like and pregnant girl does. BUT, we got lucky. My sister and her boyfriend decided to take a trip out to Kentucky to see my aunt and cousins. (which both work at Toyota) My sister was telling them about what was wrong with my truck and how terrible it was. When one of them told her that there was a recall on all Toyota Tacoma's from 1995-2000. Apparently there was a defect in the frame where they "forgot" to drill holes in the frame so when water got in it the holes would allow the water to drain out. No holes = no drainage. No drainage = a rusty frame. My dad heard about this and to make a long story short we bought my truck for $7,600 and got twice that back. I got a new mommy car (2007 Kia Optima) from the whole deal and my parents got a peace of mind that their little girl was driving a safe vehicle again. Hooray for happy endings!

No comments: